2018 VAC Information Kiosk – Look for the blue quonset tent in the ONE LOVE pullout southside of MP 29 (across from Alaska Snowboard Guides, Magpies on the Fly, and Tailgate).
Plan your Thompson Pass adventures. Get your avalanche information, weather update, and map here. VAC staff will be around each morning 9-10am to answer questions you may have.
Read Thompson Pass avalanche, snow, and weather forecasts posted on the whiteboard daily. Share your observations.
Spring 2018 Mountain Skills Classes:
- March 15 Information Kiosk opens
- Sat. March 17 10am-12pm Avalanche Companion Rescue
- Sun. March 18 10-11am Glacier Travel & Crevasse Rescue
- Wed. March 21 10-11am Backcountry Teamwork
- Sat. March 24 10-11am Planning & Preparing for Backcountry Travel
- Sun. March 25 10-11am Recognizing Avalanche Terrain
- Wed. March 28 10-11am Human Factor: Case Study
- Sat. March 31 10-11am Introduction to Thompson Pass Terrain
- Sat. March 31 10am-12pm Beacon & Eggs: Backcountry Safety Program for Families (Salmon Berry Ski Hill Mile 6)
- Sun. April 1 10am-12pm Avalanche Companion Rescue
- Wed. April 4 10-11am Glacier Travel & Crevasse Rescue
- Sat. April 7 10am-4pm Backcountry & Avalanche Riding Safety Field Session (pre-registration required here)
- Sun. April 8 10-11am Recognizing Avalanche Terrain
- Wed. April 11 10-11am Intro to Thompson Pass Terrain
- Fri. April 13 5pm-midnight Valdez Avalanche Center Spring Fling FUNdraiser, Tsaina Lodge
- Sat. April 14 10am-4pm Backcountry & Avalanche Riding Safety Field Session (pre-registration required)
- Sun. April 15 Information Kiosk closes