Valdez Avalanche Center
Support the education and sharing of avalanche information for mountains surrounding the Port of Valdez to Milepost 65 on the Richardson Highway. Our membership keeps the mission going. Join as a Valdez Avalanche Center member today, or donate directly.
The Valdez Avalanche Center has been providing safety information in the Chugach Mountains surrounding Valdez since 2006. It began as a radio interview discussing snow and avalanche conditions. Locals asked for information they could make plans with. Forecasts are currently issued Friday through Sunday with special alerts for significant weather or avalanche events. Information contained in the forecasts is intended to be used as a tool in conjunction with your personal backcountry hazard evaluation.
Public observations are encouraged and aid the accuracy of the avalanche forecasts in our data-sparse region.
Valdez Avalanche Forecasters
Forecaster with the Valdez Avalanche Center
- Northeast Prince William Sound NWS Weather Forecast
- Middleton Island Radar for Valdez area
- GOES Alaska water vapor satellite loop
- NOAA NWS Recreational spot forecast for Thompson Pass (scroll to Thompson Pass)
- Thompson Pass MP 25.7 RWIS weather station 2740'
- Valdez Marine Ferry Terminal weather station sea level
- Nicks Happy Valley above MP 30 weather station 4200' (for wind, click custom wind rose)
- Upper Tsaina River Snotel near MP 32 1750'
- Sugarloaf Snotel 551'
- Above Valdez Glacier Cryosphere program weather station 6600' <map here>
- Valdez Blueberry Weather Plot observations (scroll to bottom: Valdez City)
- More Mountain Weather resources for Alaska
- Model Average Meteogram for Valdez
Interactive Maps (Google Maps or Earth) with
Layers (Names & Resources) of our 3 Forecast Zones:
Maritime, Inter-Mountain and Continental
- Smartphone app for Avalanche forecasts: Download either the iOS or Android version of the app for free<here> . Check out our community’s snow observations.
- Looking for guidebooks?
- 2017-18 _VAC Membership meeting May 2, 2018 report (1)
- 2016-17 VAC annual membership meeting and Season Summary Report May 3, 2017
- 2015-16 VAC annual membership meeting minutes May 3, 2016
- 2014-15 summary of weather / snowpack stability <here> and snowfall chart<here>
- 2014-15 VAC membership mting May 5, 2015 report
- 2013-2014 Seasonal Snowfall
- 2013-2014 Valdez Avalanche Center Season Summary
2018/2019 Staff & Volunteers
Peter Biskind: Forecaster/Instructor
Peter guides and forecasts on snow year round in Antartica, New Zealand, Canada, Japan and here at home in Alaska. Peter has been teaching avalanche education since 2011 and is a certified AMGA ski guide - guiding in the Chugach since 2015.
Ryan VanLuit: Forecaster
Ryan joins the Valdez Avalanche Center forecasting team this year from Montana.
Sarah Carter: Forecaster/Instructor/Valdez Avalanche Center Advisory Board President
Sarah enjoys sharing this beautiful, mountainous corner of the world with her two boys, who love to ride too! She instructs avalanche classes with the Alaska Avalanche Information Center, Prince William Sound College, Backcountry Babes, and UAA.
Kyle Sobek: Instructor/Forecaster
Kyle rides every moment he gets. Kyle and his wife call Tonsina home. He seeks out every opportunity to learn about snow and mountain riding. Kyle works for DOT Ernestine, instructs avalanche courses and forecasts for Valdez Avalanche Center.
Sean Wisner: Rescue Coordinator
Ben Stolen: Observer
Josh McDonald: Observer
Dr. John Cullen, M.D.: Advisory Board Member and Medical Advisor
Will Stark: Advisory Board Member
Will grew up in Little Tutka Bay, across Kachemak Bay from Homer and attended college at the University of Alaska Fairbanks. After obtaining his bachelors degree he entered the management training program with First National Bank Alaska. In 1997, the bank offered him a job opportunity in Valdez; over the last 20 years, the bank and Valdez have treated him well and he is proud to be associated with both. Valdez has provided his wife, Erin, and Will an exceptional place to raise their two children, Liam and Noah. In Valdez they have made great friends and find the town has the perfect mix of ocean and mountains with unparalleled access to both. Will says he is honored and humbled to provide what help he can to the Valdez Avalanche Center.
Rich Loftin: Advisory Board Member
Kyle Klause: Advisory Board Member
vacant: Advisory Board Member
2016 Josh Hege & Bobby Lieberman
2015-2016 Kyle Sobek
2014 Kevin Salys
2014 Monica Morin
2013 Dusty Reed
2012 Katreen Wikstroem
2011 Sam Benoit
2010-2012 Ethan Davis
2009 Jordan Pond
2009 Brad Deringer
2008 Elise Leahy
Thanks to all our members and community supporters!
Tailgate Alaska at Thompson Pass
hybrid users are common in Valdez
Thompson Pass Terrain