Get prepared for your Backcountry Adventures. Whether you are new to Alaska or just looking to brush up on your skills and knowledge, these courses are designed for you. Thanks to support from the Alaska Department of Public Safety, Division of Alaska State Troopers, these programs are free to the public and available in the following communities:
Anchorage, Kenai, Soldotna, Homer, Seward, Wasilla, Palmer, Willow, Talkeetna, Fairbanks, Delta, Tok, Nenana, Glenallen, Valdez, Cordova, Haines, Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, Skagway... We may be able to expand to other areas with enough interest. If you would like to have your school or community included, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 907-255-2242.
2018 - 19 Schedule - Registration is not required but highly recommended for all community/field training programs Note: This schedule is dynamic and being continually updated as more classes are scheduled. If you do not see a class you are looking for, please call 907-255-2242 or check back. Resources are limited. We will do our best but apologize if we are unable to fulfill your request.
Topics typically covered under this program. We are able to focus the program based on individual group needs and request.
- Trip planning
- Weather factors
- Avalanche Awareness – Terrain Management
- Wilderness first aid
- Emergency Fire starting
- Shelter building
- Snowmachine/ATV safety
- Water and ice safety
- Much more
2018-19 Season Offerings
- 9/2/18 - Alaska State Fair
- 9/29/18 - Emergency Preparedness Safety Expo, Menard Sports Center 10 am to 3 pm - Learn more
- 10/3/18 - Nerd Night - Williwaw, Anchorage- Learn more
- 10/5/18 - Go Winter - Fairbanks
- 10/10/18 - Trapper Creek Elementary School
- 10/17/18 - Wasilla High School
- 10/30/18 - Midnight Sun Charter School
- 11/1/18 - REI- Anchorage
- 11.5.18 - Palmer Junior Middle School
- 11/10/18 - SnowFest - Anchorage Loussac Library -Learn more
- 11/15/18 - Academy Charter School - Palmer
- 12/4/18 - Teeland Middle School
- 12/5/18 - Glacier View School
- 12/15/18 - Eureka + Field Workshop with AARP Alaska
- 12/22/18 - TBD + Anchorage Snowmachine Club
- 2/5/19 - Sutton Elementary School
- 3/2/19 - Mat Su Central Schools
Lots more events coming soon. Contact us to schedule your school or community.