At-Large Director, Member, Hatcher Pass Avalanche Center
Ralph Baldwin joined the AAIC Board of Directors in December 2017. Coming from New England rock and ice climbing roots, his passion for mountaineering has led him to make ascents throughout North America with an emphasis on the Alaska Range. He has served on the rescue team out of Jenny Lake Ranger Station in GTNP and made a traverse of Denali as an NPS volunteer. Ralph is a retired public school educator teaching both in the villages of western Alaska and on the road system. He has called Alaska his home since 1979. His goal is to see local avalanche centers develop pathways to sustainability and effective operations that save lives in the mountains.
Education and Certifications:
- BA Biology, Clark University (1972)
- MS Zoology and Physiology, University of Wyoming (1993)
- Alaska Mountain Rescue Group (1994-2001)
- Level I, II, Observer/Level III Prep – Alaska Avalanche School
- Alaska Winter Weather Forecasting – AAS/Jim Woodmency