Above 2,500ft Considerable
1,800 to 2,500ft Moderate
Below 1,800ft Low
Degrees of Avalanche Danger ?
Recent Avalanche Activity
Numerous avalanches to size 3 ran to the valley floors across the region Wednesday December 6 and Friday December 8.
|WEATHER FORECAST for NEXT 24 HRS at 3,000 ft:|
|Temperature Forecast (Min/Max *F):||31/37|
|Ridgetop Wind Forecast (direction/mph):||NE/10-25|
|Snowfall (in/water equivalent):||0″ /o”|
|WIND & TEMPERATURE
PAST 24 hours
|Ferry Terminal||Thompson Pass|
|Average Wind Speed (mph) / Direction||~ /~||~ /~|
|Max Wind Gust (mph) / Direction||~ /~||~ /~|
|Temperature Min / Max (*F)||~ /~||~ /~|
Precipitation continuing for the foreseeable future with 3 feet of snowfall accumulating at Thompson Pass by next weekend.
Additional Info & Media
|SNOW HISTORY:||Valdez 12/10 AM||Thompson Pass 12/10 AM|
|24 Hour Snow / Water Equiv.||0”/0.5″||4″ /0.7″|
|Storm Snow /Water Equiv. [12/2-8]||33.5″ /10.78″||53″ /9.2″|
|Current Snow Depth||18″||54″|
|December Snow / Water Equiv.||33.5″ /10.78″||87″ / 11.2″|
|Total Winter Snowfall / Water Equiv.||46.5″ /11.37”||152″ / 16.7″|
|Snowload in Valdez||47 lbs/sq. ft.|
|SNOWFALL at OTHER STATIONS:
LAST 24 HRS (12/6 AM)/STORM TOTAL (12/2-present)/STORM WATER EQUIV.:
|Nicks Valley at 4200 ft (in):||~” / ~” / ~”|
|Upper Tsaina at 1750 ft (in):||~” / ~” / ~”|
|Sugarloaf at 550 ft (in):||~”/ ~” / ~”|
|SNOW DEPTH & WATER SURVEY (12/2017)||Depth||Snow Water Equivalent|
|Milepost 2.5 Valdez||″||″|
|Milepost 29 Worthington Flats||″||″|
|Milepost 37 Tsaina River bridge||″||″|
|This survey is done the first week of each month.|
- Northeast Prince William Sound NWS Weather Forecast
- Middleton Island Radar for Valdez area
- GOES Alaska water vapor satellite loop
- NOAA NWS Recreational spot forecast for Thompson Pass
- Thompson Pass MP 25.7 RWIS weather station 2740′ (Mesowest)
- Valdez Marine Ferry Terminal weather station sea level
- Nicks Happy Valley above MP 30 weather station 4200′ (scroll to Nicks Valley)
- Upper Tsaina River Snotel near MP 32 1750′
- Sugarloaf Snotel 551′
- Above Valdez Glacier Cryosphere program weather station 6600′ <map here>
- Valdez Blueberry Weather Plot observations (scroll to bottom: Valdez City)
- More Mountain Weather resources for Alaska
- GFS 16 Day Model for Valdez
- Model Average Meteogram for Valdez
SNOW CLIMATE ZONES:
- Maritime (Coastal) – from the Port of Valdez to Thompson Pass, all waters flowing into Valdez Arm and everything south of Marshall Pass.
- Inter-mountain (Transitional) – between Thompson Pass and Rendezvous Lodge.
- Continental (Interior) – the dry north side of the Chugach (north of 46 Mile, including the Tonsina River).
Photo of Thompson Pass
Interactive Map of Valdez Forecast Areas w/ Many Resource Layers (Trevor Grams)
NEWS: Our region is “one of the snowiest places on earth” – Serendipity / Rendezvous snowfall record set in 1963 <here>.
Free smart phone avalanche forecasts at: http://www.