Have you been traveling backcountry for a few years? Are you ready to learn more about snow and avalanches? This four day training expands your understanding of snow and backcountry leadership.
- Look at terrain from a snow stability perspective.
- Discuss how the snowpack develops and metamorphoses over time; and discuss the factors that contribute to spatial variability.
- Learn standard observation guidelines and recording formats for factors that influence or indicate snow stability.
- Advance understanding of avalanche release and triggering mechanisms.
- Introduce a snow stability analysis and forecasting framework.
- Improve companion rescue skills including multiple and deep burials.
The Alaska Avalanche Information Center hosts and partners with other instructional institutions to facilitate these courses. Curriculum: American Institute for Avalanche Research and Education
Class Length: 4 Days, Classroom and Field
Dates and Locations:
March 9-12, 2017 Black Rapids Lodge Eastern Alaska Range – Registration Closed
March 14-17, 2017 Valdez PWSC – Register at 907.834.1600
Please prepare for your Level 2 course:
- Become aquainted with SWAG (Snow, weather, and avalanche guidelines). Viewable PDF or print version for sale here.
- Begin reading The Avalanche Handbook.
- Complete this pre-course exercise and bring to your course Day 1.
- Get your gear organized with this Student Equipment List.
AAIC Course refund policy
Refunds, less 10% administration fee, will be issued by the AAIC administration office if a student must cancel/withdraw due to unforeseen circumstances and provides a minimum of five (5) days advance notice. Cancellation requests made less than five days in advance will be issued less 20% administration fee. Refund may not be issued once the course has started (this will be determined on a case by case basis.)
Refund from Credit Card Payments
If your fees have been paid with a credit card, and you are eligible to receive refund, you will receive a refund back to your credit card (less administrative fee) within 30 days from the date you cancel/withdraw. Once a credit card refund has been processed, you will receive a notification of the refund to the email address you provided at the time of your registration. If the credit card refund cannot be processed, you will receive a refund check (please see “Refund from Non-Credit Card Payments”).
Refund from Non-Credit Card Payments
If your fees have been paid with a method other than a credit card (check, money order, electronic check, bank wire, PayPal etc.), and you are eligible to receive a refund, it may take up to 30 days from the date the payment was originally received for a refund to be issued.